Below is an update on the status of the Children’s Home(from Carl and Sigalit) as well as some much needed projects they hope to complete during their stay. Carl and Sigalit have been in Pignon for 2 months now ; loving on the kids, learning Haitian culture, helping Pastor, and more! After asking Pastor what he believes are the most important needs at the compound, they’ve worked together to compile a list from most pressing to least. Now it’s time to share it with our readers and supporters and see how we can help raise the funds to complete these projects!
The children’s home is in need of several important, very basic, upgrades
that will significantly improve the quality of life for the children. Of
the four separate projects listed below, the most important are the first
two: plumbing and electrical. Until last year, when Loving Haiti finished
digging a freshwater well and installing solar panels, these projects would
have been impossible to implement, as there were no mechanisms to deliver
water and electricity to the children’s home. This is no longer the case
and it is now time to push ahead to continue improving the living
conditions of the children. Below, the maintenance project is divided into
four sub-projects in their order of importance, with explanations of the
objectives and estimated costs. As funding becomes available, we will
proceed with the projects in the order they appear.
a. Objective: To equip the children’s home with running water,
installing PVC pipes, a large water tank, three toilets, three sinks and
b. Current Status: The children’s home does not have running water.
The children must go outside to use an outhouse for a toilet and must carry
water by the bucket full for cleaning, bathing and washing from a water bin.
c. Estimated Cost: $2,300
a. Objective: To wire the children’s home and install lights in
b. Current Status: Today, there is only one light in the main room
on the first floor of the orphanage and one light in a second floor hallway.
c. Estimated Cost: Total:$1500
3) Bed Frames, Mattresses and Mattress Covers
a. Objective: To purchase several new bed frames, mattress and mattress covers for the children
b. Current Status: Beds are being occupied by 1-3 kids. Mattresses are torn, worn, and dirty. There are no mattress covers to protect from urine, dirt, bugs, or anything else that could seep though.
Estimated Cost: $4,500. Each new mattress will cost $65 each. The material to make the mattress covers will be purchased in the US and then sewn in Pignon. Hopefully the bed frames will be built by a team this summer.
**Donate to the Bed Project here:
(Please be sure and click the box labeled “Add special instructions to the seller” as you are checking out and type in “Orphanage Maintenance Project”
a. Objective: To paint the interior and exterior of the children’s
b. Current Status: The interior and exterior of the home is in need
of a fresh coat of paint. Inside, painting the walls and ceiling in white
will make the rooms less dark and cleaner.
c. Estimated Cost: We are also still working on a bid for this project. Paint is unfortunately, very expensive in Haiti. I will update this once we have a final bid.
Again, these are much needed projects and will completed in order of importance. Thank you for taking the time to read this!
A special message from Pastor Francois: “I thank ALL my supporters. I have much gratitude for them. God will reward them!”
Wondering how to donate?!
Please click here or on any of the links above to donate online or on the ‘Donate’ tab on our website.
(Around 96% of your online donation will go directly to the project. The other 4% goes to bank and wiring fees. No money is taken out for administrative costs.)
If you prefer to give via check you can write a check to:
(Around 98% of your check will go directly to the project. The other 2% goes to wiring fees. No money is taken out for administrative costs.)
601 Miller Drive
Fort Collins, CO 80521
*Just be sure to write “O.M.P.” on the memo line.*